Wednesday 9 December 2015

Recharging the Soul

It's our 15th Wedding Anniversary. Or, at least it was, when I wrote this.  I have it all beautifully penned out in my life planning journal (that sounds much more wanky than it really is).


Anyway, after much planning, stressing, anxiety and almost cancelling in the midst of trying to pack on Thursday afternoon, we have finally made it away.

We have dropped the boys at my Mum's house for what I'm sure will be a fabulous time. We drove nearly 3 hours and are currently halfway through our 2 night getaway.


There have been a few things that have struck me since we got here.

  • We are both sighing. A lot. It's like we are breathing for the first time in a long time.
  • We have both slept. A full nights sleep. And a day nap. Blissful recharge
  • It's quiet and yet it's not.  We are surrounded by bush, and listening to the beautiful sounds of the animals around us is amazing.
  • We have had uninterrupted conversation, something I forgot how to have effectively. Yes, we have both talked a lot about what's been going on lately, but also with the time to reflect as well.
  • I miss my boys. Their smiles. Their cuddles. Their cheekiness. Their smells.
  • How much we needed this. To decompress. To just be us. To not be Mum & Dad for just a few days.


The other thing I realised is how much I like spending time with my hubby. How nice it is to snuggle up on the couch and just enjoy his company. Whilst we do this at home, it's always with the nagging thought that the toys need to be picked up or that washing up needs doing. Though perhaps when we do it at home, it is more like we have both fallen in a heap and we are just propping each other up!

And whilst this little weekend away went way too fast and is unfortunately a distant memory only a month after we have had it, I am so glad that we went.  It was amazing to celebrate a massive milestone in our marriage.  Something lots - and almost ours too - don't make it to.

Kelly xx

2 comments:

  1. Congrats again on staying happily married for so long. And for being so eloquent. Don't stop blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you used the word wanky - ummmm mahhh! 😉

      Delete